Monday, October 7, 2013

Around the World in 80 meals - results from meal number 7

Ratatouille Niçoise

Veggies all prepped
I have always had a fondness to French food.  I don't know why, I just know that I do.  So when Disney/Pixar produced a movie about French food, I simply had to go.  After I saw the movie, I said that I am going to Ratatouille Niçoise one of these days.  I forgot all about cooking this meal while I was in seminary.  Now that I was trying new dishes, this meal went to the top of my list.

Cooking the veggies
There was only one issue, I have always wanted to make Chicken Cordon Bleu.  I had a hard time deciding on which of the two dishes to make.  So I made the decision the only way I could - I made both dishes.

I made Ratatouille on Friday and the Chicken Cordon Bleu on Saturday, and I made enough food to last me several days.  It wasn't until I had it for the fifth day that I was getting tired of the meal.

I was completely taken back on how delicious the Ratatouille was.  This is now my second favorite dish I have made since starting this project.  I will be bringing this dish to the pot lucks that I go to because it can be served cold.

Dinner time


I believe it was the fresh thyme and  basil that set this dish apart from the rest.  I will say that this dish needs something with it  It is missing something if it is served just by itself.




.

Chicken ready to be cook
The recipe we used for the Ratatouille is http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-essence-of-emeril/ratatouille-recipe/index.html, and I found it strange that Emeril Lagasse could create a recipe that was so easy to follow.  The Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/chicken-cordon-bleu-recipe/index.html) was also from  Emeril Lagasse, and this recipe was like the other Emeril recipes I have attempt to follow

Cooking the chicken
I will make this dish again, but not just for myself.  It is too much work for just one person.  Because I could not find Bethmale cheese, I used the same cheese that I used for the Mornay Sauce (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/classic-mornay-sauce-recipe/index.html).  I will also bake the chicken next time instead of pan frying.  I will also double up on the proscuitto and use a different cheese (like provolone).

Dinner 

No comments:

Post a Comment